HPV Strains

h
06
January
2013

By Editor
In HPV
With No Comments
Tags: hpv, strains

The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is a skin-to-skin contact, sexually-transmitted infection (STI) and is very common among sexually-active men and women all over the world.

 

 

It is estimated that 5.5 million people worldwide are getting HPV infections every year. It is believed that almost 75 per cent of sexually active individuals will have or have had HPV infection from one strain or more at one point of their lives. The number of people infected is still rising and there are still much to be made aware about this very common disease.

 

 

There are over 100 types or strains of HPV. Around 60 per cent of these strains tend to cause various warts in the hands and feet. The rest of them or the remaining 40 per cent are considered as sexually-transmitted and cause abnormal changes and growths in areas such as the genitalia and the oral cavity where it is covered by mucus membrane.

 

 

Not all HPV strains can be directly associated with cancers. More or less only 30 of these strains are cancerous. These are call High-risk strains, while those who cause only non-cancerous growths (warts) or no symptoms at all are low-risk HPV types.

 

 

 

High risk Strains:

 

 

Infections from HPV-16 and 18 cause 70 per cent of all cases of cervical cancer. Other high-risk strains of HPV are 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68 and 69.

 

 

 

Low risk Strains:

 

 

HPV-6 and 11 infections cause 90 per cent of all cases of genital warts that rarely lead to cancer. These strains, as well as HPV-30, are also known to cause formation of papillomas in the throat (oral HPV infection).


Related Posts
High-Risk HPV
US HPV Statistics as of 2012
Oral HPV
Symptoms of HPV in Women